Holidays in Sri Lanka
- The Buddhist New Year is celebrated for 3 whole days starting on the first full moon of April.
- Vesak, Buddha’s birthday, takes place on the first full moon day of May.
- Uposatha is a day dedicated to meditation and ethics, and takes place on the New Moon, the Full Moon and quarter moon days every month.
- Makha Bucha usually occurs in February, and celebrates the meeting of Arahants with Buddha, nine months after his enlightenment.
- Asalha Puja ‘Dhamma Day’ takes place around July, and is dedicated to Buddha’s first teaching on the full moon day.
- Kathina Ceremony takes place in October and November, where the locals offer new robes to the monks.
- Sanghamitta Day is celebrated on the Full Moon day in December, and honors Sanghamitta for her journey to Sri Lanka, and spreading the ideas of Buddhism.